Gold vs. Platinum: What You Need to Know
White metal still reigns supreme as the most popular choice for jewelry and engagement rings. While you most likely have heard about white gold and platinum you may be wondering what the key differences are between them. Here is a breakdown of 5 key facts to help you decide which metal is best for you.
1. The first thing to know is that there is no visual difference between platinum and white gold. Both a platinum ring and a white gold ring side by side will look identical: bright, white and shiny.
2. Platinum is a naturally white metal while pure gold (24 karat) is yellow. To create white gold, the 24 karat yellow gold is mixed with other alloys mostly nickel, and smaller amounts of silver and zinc.
3. People with metal allergies tend to be allergic to the alloys (mainly nickel) that are mixed into the gold. Platinum is hypoallergenic, and therefore the best choice for people with metal allergies.
4. Gold is less expensive than platinum. On average an engagement ring made in 14K white or yellow gold will be $800 - $1200 less than the exact same ring made in platinum. One reason for this price difference is that platinum is more dense than gold. A platinum ring is 60% heavier than the same ring made in 14K white gold. This density helps platinum jewelry wear away more slowly than white gold jewelry.
5. Because gold is naturally yellow, it does require more maintenance than platinum; a naturally white metal. On average, white gold rings should be rhodium plated every 6-12 months to keep them looking white and new.
At Mark Michael Diamond Designs we make many engagement rings and custom jewelry designs in both 14k white gold, 18k white gold and platinum. We hope this gold vs. platinum overview helps you in your jewelry education journey. For an even more comprehensive article check out our Precious Metal Education page.
Contact Mark Michael Diamond Designs for more information about precious metals, diamonds, or our custom jewelry design services. We look forward to hearing from you!