Ten Interesting Diamond Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
Diamonds are a treasured piece of Mother Nature’s history. Transcending time and cultures, diamonds have been appreciated and treasured for centuries. Mark Michael Diamond Designs offers you a glimpse into the fascinating and mysterious world of diamonds with these ten interesting diamond facts.
1. Diamonds were first discovered more than 3,000 years ago in India and were immediately prized and treasured by India’s elite.
2. Carbon dating tells us that diamonds are as old as 3.4 billion years old. This means diamonds pre-date the dinosaurs and are a true piece of mother Earth’s history.
3. Diamonds form 90-120 miles below the Earth’s surface where the depth, pressure and temperature must be just right for the diamond to form.
4. Diamonds are brought up to the Earth’s surface by volcanic activity. The diamonds violent journey gives testament to their durability and timelessness.
5. Diamonds are made of pure carbon and are the only gemstone formed of a single element.
6. Diamonds are 58 times harder than anything else found in nature making them extremely scratch resistant.
7. Of all the diamonds mined from the Earth only 30% are durable and beautiful enough to be gem quality and used in jewelry designs.
8. One carat diamonds are rare. Only 1 in one million gem quality diamonds will weigh 1 carat. Three carat diamonds are even rarer. 1 in 15 million gem quality diamonds will weigh 3 carats. .
9. The word diamond comes from the Greek word “adamas” which means “invincible.” Greek warriors wore diamonds to battle believing that the diamonds would strengthen their muscles and render them unconquerable.
10. The first diamond ring given was in 1477. The Archduke Maximilian of Austria gave a ring to Mary of Burgundy with diamonds set in the shape of the letter “M” giving rise to the tradition of giving diamond engagement rings to your beloved.
Diamonds are one of nature's most unique and dazzling gifts.
Timeless and classic diamonds are durable enough to be passed down as family heirlooms.
Owning a diamond is a wonderful way to express your unique taste and personal style. Mark Michael Diamond Designs selects diamonds of every size and to fit every budget. Mark Michael Diamond Designs also purchases some diamonds 1/2 carat and larger. To schedule a diamond consultation click here. We’re happy to help in any way we can.