Five Best At-Home Jewelry Care Practices
1. As a general rule of thumb, your jewelry should be inspected and cleaned every 6 months. Inspections are important to check for loose gemstones, worn prongs, and other general maintenance issues. Mark Michael Diamond Designs provides cleaning and inspections free of charge, even if your jewelry piece was not purchased from us.
2. It is best to remove all jewelry before going to sleep each night. While you’re enjoying blissful slumber sheets can snag and pull at prongs, causing wear and damage over time.
3. Keep jewelry away from harsh chemicals such as acids, cleaning products and hairsprays.
4. When storing jewelry, keep items separated from each other to prevent stones from scratching and abrading. Softer gemstones such as opals and pearls should be stored in soft pouches and handled with care.
5. To keep your jewelry looking its best avoid creamy hand soaps and lotion, which can cloud up the appearance of diamonds and gemstones. To safely clean your jewelry at home a soft brush (such as a spare toothbrush) and warm soapy water (such as a mild dish soap) are recommended.
We hope you have a great weekend!